- author: Brock Misner
The Business Dot Site: A Huge Debate in the SEO Community
In the SEO community, there has been a huge debate about whether the Business Dot Site is effective in improving GMB rankings or not. The business dot site is a Google property which is utilized by many SEO professionals to achieve higher ranking. Essentially, it is a hidden Google website that is often overlooked by GMB owners, marketers, and SEOs. In this article, we will go over the business dot site and how you can utilize it to improve online visibility.
Three Ways to Utilize the Business Dot Site
There are three primary ways that we can utilize the business dot site. These include:
1. Utilizing the Site as an indexing tool
Google will crawl your business dot site more often as compared to other sites as it is a Google property. Using the site as an indexing tool can also help your website link to other branded entities and properties. This can show Google that your brand is present across the entire internet. This is essential for building a brand's online presence, and it is the future of SEO.
2. Connecting to other branded entities or properties
Using the site to connect to other branded entities or properties can show Google that your brand is present across the entire internet. This is essential for building a brand's online presence, and it is the future of SEO.
3. Building geographical relevancy
Building geographical relevancy is beneficial for ranking low to medium competition keywords. Though it doesn't help a lot, it does work in specific cases. Customizing the URL, headers, and content can help in this case.
How to Utilize the Business Dot Site
Getting a dot business dot site is easy. Once you have one, grab the domain and remove the dot business dot site part. Then drop it into business.google.com/website/. Google my business listing dictates where the canonical tag points. Here are a few things you need to know:
- If you have a business.google.com site, this is reversible.
- Getting indexed is not difficult at all. If you can reach out to Google, your site will get indexed.
- Once you get it indexed, even though the canonical tag points to the business dot site, your business.google.com site will still take its place.
- Recently we did a press release for a plumbing client of ours on the west coast, and framed this website with him. This new business.google.com site is currently ranking number three for his branded search, outranking Facebook, Angie's list, and Thumbtack.
Utilizing the Business Dot Site can be beneficial for your GMB ranking and overall online presence. Though it is often overlooked, it can provide a powerful boost to your SEO efforts. By understanding how to utilize the various features of the site to your advantage, you can improve your ranking, gain traffic, and grow your brand across the internet.