- author: The PyCoach
Exploring the Capabilities of GPT Engineer
If you were already impressed by Chat DPT and the other GPT capabilities, get ready to be amazed by what you can do with GBT Engineer. With GBT Engineer, you can create various applications with just a single prompt. Let's dive deeper into the possibilities this tool offers.
Creating Applications with GBT Engineer
One example is the creation of a Snake Pie game. By utilizing GPT Engineer, you can generate all the necessary files for this game. Isn't it incredible? Take a look at the Snake Pie game I created using only GPT Engineer.
Another exciting feature is the ability to automate complete web scripting projects. For instance, you can create a web scraping project to gather data from websites. You have full control over the data manipulation and can even store it within your own website.
Furthermore, GPT Engineer enables you to develop websites with just a simple prompt. It's astounding how effortless the process becomes with this powerful tool.
Setting Up GPT Engineer
To begin, we need to install GPT Engineer. Follow these steps:
- Go to the GBT Engineer GitHub repository and click on the green "Code" button.
- Clone the repository by copying the link provided.
- In your terminal, navigate to the desired directory and use the command
git clone [paste the link]to clone the repository.
- Set up a virtual environment using either Conda or PIP. For example, you can create a virtual environment named "DPT-env" with
python3 -m venv DPT-env.
- Activate the virtual environment using the command
- Within the cloned repository, run
make installto install the necessary dependencies.
- Activate an additional virtual environment for GPT Engineer using the command
- Obtain an OpenAI API key from the OpenAI website and set it up in your terminal using the provided code.
Utilizing GPT Engineer
After completing the setup, we can now leverage the power of GPT Engineer. To work with GPT Engineer, you will need to use the file
- In the GPT Engineer repository, navigate to the "projects" folder.
- By default, there is an "example" project. However, you can create new projects by duplicating the "example" folder and giving it a unique name.
- Open the
main_prompt.pyfile in the project folder.
main_prompt.pyfile contains instructions that guide GPT Engineer on what to create.
- Modify the prompts according to your desired project. For example, you can specify tasks such as creating a Snake game or implementing web scraping instructions.
Multiple Projects with GPT Engineer
GPT Engineer supports multiple projects within the same repository. To create additional projects, follow these steps:
- Duplicate the "example" folder and rename it to your desired project name.
- Open the
main_prompt.pyfile within the new project folder.
- Modify the prompts for this specific project.
Running GPT Engineer
To execute your project in GPT Engineer, run the following command in your terminal:
Make sure to replace
[project-name] with the name of your desired project. This command will initiate GPT Engineer and generate the necessary code and files based on your prompts.
During the installation and execution of GPT Engineer, you may encounter some issues. Here are a couple of common problems and their solutions:
- Missing "requirements.txt" file: Currently, there is an issue with the repository not generating the "requirements.txt" file. A workaround for this is to manually install the dependencies required by checking the GitHub repository for updates.
- Formatting inconsistencies: Occasionally, the generated code files may have formatting issues, such as extra characters. These can be easily resolved by removing the unnecessary characters.
Now that you have set up GPT Engineer and understand its capabilities, the possibilities are endless. Dive in and start exploring the vast potential of GPT Engineer for your application development and automation projects. Happy coding!
Using GPT Engineer for Web Scraping
When using GPT Engineer for web scraping, you may encounter a few issues that need to be addressed. One common problem is the generation of unnecessary apostrophes in the file names. Although this can be easily resolved, it is important to ensure that your file names do not contain any additional characters.
To resolve the issue of missing requirements.txt file, you need to navigate to the 'all_output.txt' file and search for the 'requirements.txt' section. Once found, duplicate the file and rename it to 'requirements.txt'. Open the file and delete all the unnecessary libraries needed for your project. Save the file, and now you are ready to install the required libraries and run your script.
To install the libraries and run the script using GPT Engineer, navigate to the workspace folder in the terminal. Use the 'cd' command to navigate to the project folder, followed by the 'pip install -r requirements.txt' command to install all the required libraries. Once the installation is complete, use the 'python main.py' command to execute the script. This will generate a CSV file named 'article_titles.csv' containing the scraped data.
Beyond Web Scraping
Although GPT Engineer is primarily used for web scraping, it offers many other possibilities. You can use it to build various types of applications, including websites. For example, you can create a website about dogs using GPT Engineer.
To get started, copy and paste the example project code and save it as 'website'. Open the file with a text editor and customize it by adding details about the website you want to create. Once you are satisfied with the modifications, navigate to the GPT Engineer folder in the terminal and run the command 'gbt-engineer projects/website'. This will display all the pages that will be part of your website.
After a few minutes, the code execution will be completed, and you will be prompted to execute the code. Press 'Enter' to proceed. If there is an error regarding the missing requirements.txt file, follow the same steps as mentioned earlier to resolve the issue.
Once the execution is successful, you will find all the generated files in the 'website/workspace' folder. These files include Python scripts, a contact form, a dog breed controller, and an email service. You can duplicate the 'all_output.txt' file, remove the unnecessary content, and update the requirements section as needed.
It is important to note that while GPT Engineer eases the process of web scraping and website creation, it is not flawless. You may still encounter issues that require your programming knowledge to resolve. Despite its limitations, GPT Engineer can significantly simplify the development process and save you time.