- author: Matt Wolfe
AI News Recap: Google Sheets, Training AI with AI, Adobe's IP Indemnity, Lawsuits, and Unity's AI Tools
In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the recent news and developments in the field of artificial intelligence (AI). From Google Sheets integrating AI capabilities to concerns about training AI with AI, we'll explore various advancements and controversies in the AI community.
AI Inside Google Sheets
Google recently announced the roll-out of AI capabilities within Google Sheets. With this integration, users can leverage AI to streamline tasks such as planning conferences and generating personalized messages for clients. By simply typing an agenda or client information into Google Sheets, the AI algorithm generates comprehensive plans and personalized messages, respectively. Although the availability of these AI features for all users is not disclosed, it is stated that the integration is currently being rolled out in Google Workspace Labs.
Training AI with AI: Outsourcing Work to Gig Workers
An article on the MIT Technology Review website shed light on a concerning practice in the AI industry. Many companies are outsourcing their AI training work to gig workers on platforms like Mechanical Turk. These workers are tasked with completing manual tasks that are challenging to automate, including captcha solving, data labeling, and text annotation. The data generated by these gig workers is then used to train AI models. However, the workers are often poorly paid and need to complete numerous tasks quickly.
To ensure the quality of the work completed by gig workers, AI detectors were employed to identify any usage of AI models like Chat GPT. Surprisingly, the analysis revealed that between 33% and 46% of the workers had utilized AI models. This practice of training AI with data generated by AI models can introduce errors and inaccuracy into already error-prone models. The errors, if accumulated over time, can significantly complicate the identification of their origins. Thus, the AI community must closely investigate which tasks are susceptible to automation and work collaboratively to prevent such issues.
Adobe's IP Indemnity and Trust in AI-Generated Images
A significant concern among businesses utilizing AI-generated images is the potential legal ramifications regarding the data used to train the AI models. However, Adobe aims to address this by offering Enterprise customers and IP Indemnity. This means that Adobe takes responsibility for any third-party intellectual property claims related to images generated using their Firefly art generator platforms. By leveraging Adobe's broad permission to use Adobe Stock images, openly licensed content, and public domain content, customers can trust the legality and safety of using AI-generated images without fear of future legal consequences.
Lawsuits and the Ethics of Data Usage in AI Training
Open AI, the organization behind the well-known chat bot Chat GPT, is currently facing a class-action lawsuit that alleges massive copyright and privacy violations. The lawsuit claims that Open AI scraped data from the internet without explicit consent and misused countless individuals' information for training its AI technology. The plaintiffs argue that when they posted content on social media platforms or blogs, they did not intend for it to be used in AI training.
Open AI's defense relies on the assertion that the data used for training Chat GPT was publicly available, making fair use policies applicable. They argue that their utilization of the data was transformative and did not negatively impact the original creators. This legal battle highlights the ongoing discussions about the ethics and responsible usage of data in AI development.
Google DeepMind's Upcoming Algorithm and Unity's AI Tools
Google DeepMind's CEO made an intriguing announcement about the organization's upcoming algorithm that is expected to surpass Chat GPT in terms of capabilities. The details are scarce, but the article mentions that this algorithm, named "Gemini," combines techniques from Chat GPT, as well as approaches used in AlphaGo. The latter was a groundbreaking AI system that defeated a human grand master in the game of Go. While the specifics of how Gemini will outperform Chat GPT remain undisclosed, the article suggests that it will be an exciting advancement to watch out for.
Unity, a popular game engine widely used by game developers, introduced an AI tool called Unity Muse. In a demonstration, Unity Muse showcased its ability to access documentation and learn how to perform various tasks within Unity. Additionally, it demonstrated generating character animations from text commands and quickly creating 2D sprite assets. Unity also announced Unity Sentic, which adds unique dialogue capabilities to characters within games. Both Unity Muse and Unity Sentic are part of Unity's beta programs, and when released, they are expected to be available within the free platform, making game development more accessible to a broader audience.
Professional Quality AI Solutions from Convey, World Layer Leonardo, and More
In the rapidly evolving field of artificial intelligence (AI), finding reliable and high-quality solutions can be a challenge. However, there are several providers that offer professional AI solutions that cater to various industries and applications. Two prominent providers in this space are Convey and World Layer Leonardo.
- Convey has gained recognition as a leading AI company, known for its exceptional solutions and innovative approach.
- Their CEO recently showcased their solutions in a previous video, highlighting the company's commitment to game assets.
- Furthermore, Convey offers compelling technologies, not limited to game assets, demonstrating the wide scope of their expertise.
- Additional Information: Convey's solutions encompass diverse areas, including computer vision, natural language processing, and machine learning, making them a versatile choice for AI implementation.
World Layer Leonardo:
- World Layer Leonardo stands as another prominent player in the field.
- One exciting tool they offer, currently in enclosed beta testing, is called CSM (short for Common Sense Machines).
- CSM boasts the capability to transform 2D images into 3D assets, opening up a world of creativity in game development, filmmaking, virtual reality (VR), and augmented reality (AR).
- Notably, World Layer Leonardo provides impressive demonstrations of the tool's potential, illustrating how the 2D input translates into stunning 3D output.
- Additional Information: The ability to generate 3D assets from 2D images with CSM has the potential to revolutionize the entertainment industry. Exploring this tool alongside popular software like Mid-Journey or Leonardo creates endless possibilities for content creators.
Expanding the Scope of AI Tools:
- AI continues to permeate various other industries, with even bicycles now incorporating chat GPT, an AI-powered conversation tool.
- However, this implementation raises questions about the need for such a feature while cycling, given the existing availability of cell phones and Bluetooth headphones.
- The integration of AI into unconventional devices highlights the pervasive role of AI in our lives and calls for a critical evaluation of its practicality.
Potential Effects on the Entertainment Industry:
- The potential threat of AI replacing human actors looms over Hollywood as hundreds of actors are preparing to strike for higher pay and more control over the use of AI in the casting process.
- This demonstrates the growing importance of addressing AI's influence in negotiations within the entertainment industry.
- It also brings to mind the intriguing parallels showcased in the Black Mirror episode "Joan is Awful," which explores the repercussions of heavy reliance on AI.
- The concern arises that by boycotting work for fear of AI taking their jobs, actors may inadvertently expedite the replacement of human actors by AI.
Innovative Tools for Image Manipulation:
- Playground, a platform that has garnered attention for its impressive capabilities, recently introduced a new feature called "mixed image editing."
- This tool has similarities to Adobe's generative fill but provides additional flexibility and control.
- Playground enables users to stretch, edit, and manipulate images effortlessly.
- The availability of image-editing tools like mixed image editing and uncropping in Playground amplifies the power of AI-driven image manipulation.
Expanding Access to AI Education and Resources:
- Microsoft is committed to equipping individuals with AI skills by launching an AI skills training program as part of their Skill for Jobs initiative.
- This online coursework aims to empower learners by offering training in generative AI.
- Upon completion, participants will receive a professional certificate in generative AI, validating their expertise in the field.
- Note: Microsoft's commitment to democratizing AI education by making the coursework available for free through 2025 underscores their dedication to spreading AI knowledge and skills globally.
Public Perception and Adoption of AI:
- Recent research conducted by The Verge sheds light on the general public's awareness and usage of AI technologies.
- Notably, 57% of respondents in the United States reported having used or heard of chat GPT, indicating its widespread recognition.
- On the other hand, awareness for other AI technologies, such as Bing Chat and My AI from Snapchat, varied.
- The survey findings reveal interesting insights into generational trends, with millennials and Gen Z demonstrating higher familiarity with AI technologies compared to Gen X and Boomers.
Prediction of AI's Impact on Society:
- According to The Verge's research, 74% of respondents believe that AI will have a significant impact on society, reflecting the growing recognition of AI's transformative potential.
- Electric vehicles (69%), virtual reality (60%), and augmented reality (52%) were also identified as technologies with substantial societal influence.
- It is noteworthy that only 34% of respondents recognized the impact of non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
- Opinion: The perception of virtual reality versus augmented reality may shift over time, with more individuals projecting augmented reality as the future due to its wide-ranging potential.
AI's Impact on Society: Insights and Perspectives
In a recent survey conducted on the biggest impact of technology on society, it was found that 74% of respondents believed that Artificial Intelligence (AI) would have a significant influence. This perception was closely followed by electric vehicles at 69%, virtual reality (VR) at 60%, augmented reality (AR) at 52%, and non-fungible tokens (NFTs) at 34%. However, if we analyze the trends, it is likely that VR and AR positions will gradually flip, with more individuals seeing AR as the future. VR, often portrayed in movies like "Ready Player One," may still be seen as more of a cinematic concept. Nevertheless, many people are already using augmented reality without even realizing it, as witnessed through popular applications like Snapchat and Instagram filters.
Furthermore, the survey yielded interesting findings regarding AI's perceived capabilities and concerns. It revealed that a significant number of respondents believed that AI surpassed human abilities in certain areas. Moreover, approximately 70% of participants believed that artists should be compensated when AI reproduces their work. This highlights growing concerns about the ethical implications of AI-generated content and the need to protect the rights of creators.
AI regulation also emerged as a topic of interest, with respondents expressing mixed sentiments. While some advocated for stricter regulation, others believed in allowing companies to produce conscious or sentient AI. Surprisingly, 51% of respondents even predicted that AI will become sentient at some point, and 64% of them did not oppose the idea of companies developing such advanced AI.
It is worth noting that these findings are derived from a limited dataset of 2000 respondents. With a wider and more diverse sample, the results might vary significantly. Nonetheless, these insights provide valuable clues about public perspectives on AI and its future trajectory.
To complement these findings, it is imperative to consider the thoughts of people who are well-versed in technology and its implications. In an interview with renowned YouTuber MrBeast, he shared his views on the difference between human intelligence and artificial intelligence. MrBeast optimistically believes that AI will not destroy but rather free up people to focus on their passions, unleashing their creativity and inspiring new breakthroughs. He envisions a phase where some may initially resort to plagiarism and homogeneity but expects it to normalize over time. According to MrBeast, those who adapt AI as a source of inspiration and elevate their creations will be the ones to succeed.
As the AI landscape continues to evolve, these diverse perspectives shed light on the potential societal changes AI may bring and the importance of a thoughtful and ethical approach in its implementation. AI not only holds the potential to augment human abilities and streamline processes but also necessitates careful consideration of copyright issues, ethical guidelines, and societal impacts.
For more in-depth insights into the survey and fascinating interviews on AI, check out the article linked below. Stay updated with the latest AI news by subscribing to our channel. Don't miss out on the opportunity to explore the world of AI and technology, unlocking new levels of creativity and growth.
Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm for AI. Together, let's embark on this exciting journey of exploring AI and its implications. Join us at futuretools.io to stay up to date with real-time news, discover the coolest AI tools, and receive a weekly tldr (too long, didn't read) summary of the week in AI. We appreciate your invaluable presence and look forward to sharing more informative and entertaining content in the world of AI and tech. Thank you for tuning in, and see you in the next video!
Bye-bye.The recent ai news highlights the integration of ai algorithms into google sheets, concerns regarding training ai with ai, adobe's ip indemnity to ease legal worries around ai-generated images, ongoing lawsuits questioning the ethics of data usage, and exciting ai tools like google deepmind's upcoming algorithm and unity's muse and sentic. these developments showcase the continuous evolution, challenges, and ethical debates surrounding the field of artificial intelligence.
Accessing professional ai solutions from providers like convey and world layer leonardo empowers businesses and individuals to harness the transformative potential of artificial intelligence. as ai continues to permeate various industries, it is crucial to critically assess its implementation and address concerns about its impact, particularly in the entertainment industry. the development of innovative tools, along with initiatives to expand ai education, demonstrates a commitment to fostering ai adoption and understanding among the broader population.