- author: Google Search Central
6 Tips for Improving Your Appearance in Search Results
As an e-commerce business owner, you know the importance of showing up on the first page of search results. But it's not just about your position on the list - it's also about your appearance in search results. In this article, we'll look at six tips for improving your visual appearance in search results, with extra attention to products.
Tip 1: Check Your Title Links
A good title link can greatly help users understand your offering, bringing quality traffic to your site. Ensure that the title links Google is showing for your products in search results are helpful and not harmful to users' impression of your site.
- Check your title links regularly
- Avoid duplicating information or poorly-formatted titles
- Experiment with different titles to determine the importance of different product attributes to your customers
Tip 2: Use High-Quality Product Images
Google may display product images directly in search results, so it's important to ensure that your images are of the highest quality possible. Users generally respond well to high-quality images, so showcasing your products with beautiful, clear photos is a must.
- Use images that are at least 1200 pixels wide
- Replace lower-quality images with higher-quality ones
- Review robot settings (such as Max Image Preview) for guidance on how you'd like images to be treated in search results
Tip 3: Share Rich Product Data with Google
One way to help Google understand your pages is by using structured data, additional markup to add to your web pages. For products in search results, it is recommended to at least include the product title, description, images, product ratings, price, and availability.
- Use structured data to help Google understand your pages
- Identify the structured data types for your product
- Check the Rich Results Testing tool to see if it identifies any errors in your markup
Tip 4: Highlight Price Drops
If you share pricing product data, Google may highlight price drops in product-rich results. To be eligible for price drop display, make sure you have an offer in your product structured data. The price in the offer must be a specific value and not a range.
- Include an offer in your product structured data
- Check your products in search results to see if price drops are being displayed
Tip 5: Provide Accurate Product Identifiers
Clearly identify which products you sell by providing accurate product identifiers, such as GTIN identifiers. This is best done using a combination of Google Merchant Center feed and product structured data on pages.
- Provide accurate product identifiers for improved exposure
- Use a combination of Google Merchant Center feed and product structured data on pages
Tip 6: Create a Google Business Profile
If your business has a physical presence, create a Google Business Profile to display alongside search results. At this time, pure online businesses are not eligible for a business profile.
- Create a Google Business Profile to display alongside search results
- Only businesses with a physical presence can have a profile created
Google is always exploring new ways to help users understand search results. By following these tips and providing Google rich, structured data describing your products, you can improve your appearance in search results and present your pages in a more engaging way to shoppers performing searches.
If you have found this article useful, you can subscribe to Google Search Central to get notified of new content. Google Search Central publishes new videos weekly to help website owners get the most out of Google Search. Thanks for reading.